Memorial Service for Barbara Rike

Thursday, July 24 at 6:30 p.m.
Sachse First United Methodist Church
Small Reception Following

Memorial Donations can be made to:
Endometrial Cancer Research: http://www.thegcf.org/
The Humane Society: http://www.hsus.org/
Sierra Club: http://www.sierraclub.org/
And ARMA Education Foundation has set up a Memorial page for Barbara at http://www.armaedfoundation.org/barbararike.html.


Contribute memories or photos by emailing memoryofbarb@gmail.com.

Slideshow

Obituary

Obituary
The extended obituary that will be included in the Memorial Service.

Monday, July 21, 2008

From Chuck Schiell

I have known Barb for over 20 years – first as another records management professional and then as a wonderful and caring friend. I feel a very personal loss, as it was I who contacted Barb at the ARMA San Antonio Conference about applying for a position I held with the City of Aurora, Colorado as a contracted consultant to develop a citywide records and information management program. She applied, and along with some 22 other CRM’s and records professionals she became the pick of “the litter.”

We hired Barb in April 08, to take the city from the paper-based records process to the electronic records world. In just a brief few months she had moved the IT folks of the city from ground zero, to at least a 70-80 change in direction and philosophy. I can hear her now saying to me “we’ll change their minds” remember I am a “Texas Gal” and by God she made an impression and they were listening and moving. The day that Barb was getting her goodbyes said the IT, CIO, a gentleman gave her a “hug” I believe at that moment I witnessed a respect for Barbara that I didn’t think was in this persons makeup. A MIRCALE HAD OCCURRED and this man truly was affected by Barbara’s departure.

Now if you’ll allow me a few truly personal and heart-wrenching comments – I feel I need to share this with you her family and her friends. It is Barb’s last venture while here in Colorado. It is the beginning of my “healing”

One day in May, Barbara came to me to ask if I knew of any doctors that she could go see as she was having bleeding issues.
I did and we located a Kaiser group, right where she was living. Things moved rather quickly – the medical folks, after test and other work ups, decided she had cancer of the uterus, and would need to determine whether it was malignant or benign. Test revealed a hysterectomy was in order and that she probably had a malignant cancer. The surgery revealed that her disease was in fact malignant, had spread to other organs and that it was an aggressive cancer. Barb had fluid in her lungs and abdomen and was is some distress.

Barbara would always say she is “going to get those little buggers”

I provided all the support I could, and finally had to call for the real troops to come visit, and to make arrangements to move Barbara back to Texas – no easy task – Her sister Nancy arrived her greatest friend of all friends Pat Dixon was on the scene and over a period of time her brother and other family members all visited with her – all advising her to return home. That was not in Barbara’s plans, but over a period of weeks and of starting Chemo here in Denver, and having fluids drawn several times she consented to return with her family and friends in Texas.

For me Barbara was a personal loss that will be with me for many years. She was one of the most courageous and optimistic people I have been fortunate to know. To the last she had great plans for the future.

I am sorry that I will not be able to attend the memorial service on the 24th, as things and circumstances make it impractical for my attendance then.

I know that Barbara went to be with the Lord and I believe she is asking HIM – where are your records, and can you find them – if not I am the one to get you organized.

I pray for Nancy and Pat, and all those family members who feel her absence more than words can express. To all her friends, of which I am one – we will miss her, but we will all be together someday, as brothers and sisters with the LORD Jesus and Our Father God.

God Bless each any every one of you – Chuck

No comments: