Memorial Service for Barbara Rike

Thursday, July 24 at 6:30 p.m.
Sachse First United Methodist Church
Small Reception Following

Memorial Donations can be made to:
Endometrial Cancer Research: http://www.thegcf.org/
The Humane Society: http://www.hsus.org/
Sierra Club: http://www.sierraclub.org/
And ARMA Education Foundation has set up a Memorial page for Barbara at http://www.armaedfoundation.org/barbararike.html.


Contribute memories or photos by emailing memoryofbarb@gmail.com.

Slideshow

Obituary

Obituary
The extended obituary that will be included in the Memorial Service.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

From Kathy Sparks

Barb was an eternal friend to me. We first met at ARMA way back in the 1980's and had great fun partying together at conferences. She was regarded as a sensational speaker and so we invited her to be a featured speaker at our Buffalo-Niagara Frontier ARMA chapter meeting. (I don't think that chapter even exists anymore!) She delivered a great presentation, by the way!

She happened to be returning to Dallas from that same speaking engagement at the very time that I was traveling to my employer's new corporate headquarters in Dallas. So, Barb and I shared the same flight home. We were able to finagle seats on the plane together and talked non-stop all the way back to Dallas. (Not so hard to believe about either one of us, is it?!) When we arrived in Dallas I found out that my hotel room had been given away due to lack of 'late guarantee' on my part! Yikes! Here I was 1200 miles from home and no place to stay! Barb came to the rescue and put me up in her Los Colinas apartment for the night. What a sweetheart!

Several years later I moved to Dallas to take a promotion at OxyChem. Sure enough, Barb was one of the first people to welcome me to Dallas. Barb was working at the Farm Loan banking organization then. We remained friends and did some 'personal improvement' meetings together for a time and then she moved to the Pacific Northwest. Later I moved to Arkansas and she and I fell out of touch.

I will always remember my lovely, vivacious friend, Barbara Rike.

No comments: