Memorial Service for Barbara Rike

Thursday, July 24 at 6:30 p.m.
Sachse First United Methodist Church
Small Reception Following

Memorial Donations can be made to:
Endometrial Cancer Research: http://www.thegcf.org/
The Humane Society: http://www.hsus.org/
Sierra Club: http://www.sierraclub.org/
And ARMA Education Foundation has set up a Memorial page for Barbara at http://www.armaedfoundation.org/barbararike.html.


Contribute memories or photos by emailing memoryofbarb@gmail.com.

Slideshow

Obituary

Obituary
The extended obituary that will be included in the Memorial Service.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

From Valerie Moore

I met Barb when I joined the Seattle Mountaineers Volunteer group which she was leading in 1998. I was a new member and Barb made me feel so welcome. Our mutual love of the mountains, wildflowers and cats made us fast friends. I have many fond memories of our hike and snowshoe trips together. I remember one 4th of July we spent the day doing trail maintenance then enjoyed a nice dinner together and watched the fireworks over Lake Washington. I am so thankful that we had once last hike together in the Cascades before she left for Colorado to start her new job.

When I think of Barb, I think of her vivacious spirit, her endless energy, her desire to give back to the community with all her volunteer efforts and how she always talked so fast :) She was such a friendly, outgoing person and would often start up a conversation with fellow hikers we passed along the trail.

I am in awe of how she faced her illness with such courage, faith and optimism. She told me the last time we talked on the phone that no matter what happened she didn’t have any regrets in her life and she accepted whatever plans God had for her. Heaven is certainly a brighter place now with her spirit there.

I am going hiking this weekend to honour her memory.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. I know Barb loved you all very much. Barb will always be alive in the hearts of her family and many friends. Her spirit is free now to hike up any mountain she wishes.

No comments: