Memorial Service for Barbara Rike

Thursday, July 24 at 6:30 p.m.
Sachse First United Methodist Church
Small Reception Following

Memorial Donations can be made to:
Endometrial Cancer Research: http://www.thegcf.org/
The Humane Society: http://www.hsus.org/
Sierra Club: http://www.sierraclub.org/
And ARMA Education Foundation has set up a Memorial page for Barbara at http://www.armaedfoundation.org/barbararike.html.


Contribute memories or photos by emailing memoryofbarb@gmail.com.

Slideshow

Obituary

Obituary
The extended obituary that will be included in the Memorial Service.

Monday, July 21, 2008

From Earl Johnson

I was deeply saddened to learn of Barb’s death, I still can’t quite believe it. I started out in this profession back in the early 1980’s, and worked with Barb on a consulting assignment in Michigan during those early days. As I was so new to records management, Barb gladly kind of “took me under her wings” and was so willing to teach, and share her breadth of knowledge and experience with me. Whether she knew it or not, she was a mentor for me during that time in Jackson. I used to wonder how anyone could smile so much… it seemed like her cheeks ought to hurt because she smiled so much.

I remember one of the last times I spoke with her a few years ago, was when we were both scheduled to speak at the Houston Chapter’s Spring Seminar but she had to cancel. I was elated when she called and asked me to give her presentation, and sent me the materials. We spoke for awhile as I reviewed her presentation, as I wanted to make sure I could capture as much as I could of the essence of what she wanted to convey. I enjoyed doing the presentation for her (she was very well prepared, as usual), and it was very well received (that’s more of a testimony to the content, rather than the delivery).

Over the years we kind of lost touch, but I always looked forward to attending ARMA Conferences as I would hope to run into Barb at some point or another there. If I was fortunate enough to do so, many times it was only a quick hello and how are you, as she (or I) was often running to a session in a hurry. Unfortunately, I don’t think that I ever took the opportunity to tell her of the impact she’d had on my career in records management--particularly early on, and not just as a records manager but as a professional and colleague. I wish I could’ve told her that I will be forever grateful to her for it.

Thank you Barb, my life has been enriched for having known you.

Thanks.

Earl Johnson, Jr.

No comments: